New habits

I woke up to the sound of rain falling on the thin roof of the storage sled that I slept in last night, under a sleeping bag with Elder, a single pillow to us. It was way too early, at least that’s what my hangover told me, so I got up to use the bathroom, grabbed some water and went back to bed. Elder eventually woke and went to the RV. Younger came to visit me briefly then left. When I finally did get up for real, around eight, the girls were already swimming in the lake. I drank some more water before joining them.

I broke out a kayak and took them around the lake, then played Marco Polo with them, a game which brought Missus to tears. We gave her dad some help with the RV; one of the hydraulic pistons that pushed out the bedroom fold-out had failed, so we had to pull it. We packed, ate a spread for early lunch and hit the road for the two and a half hour trip back. The girls napped almost the entire way home.

My nap had to wait until we got back to the house. I spent the rest of the day being lazy, I made a pizza and watched Disenchantment while everyone did their own thing, made the girls a microwave meal and downloaded the new Boss Baby movie for us to watch. It was pretty ridiculous.

My friend T had messaged me a few days ago. I had told him I’d been running a lot and he wanted to go for a jog with me. Somehow I agreed to let him meet me here at 7:30 AM tomorrow to go for a jog. I don’t know how I allowed myself to go for that. I hope I don’t regret it. I suppose it means I’m going to bed on time tonight. There are worse things.

I’ve been doing pretty good the last few weeks, habit wise. I’d say last week was pretty excellent. The only real lapse I had was stopping for a couple sixes of IPA before we turned off the main highway last night. I should have just drank the Modelo Missus brought and I probably wouldn’t have had such a rough morning. I managed to go all week without drinking, mainly due to the fact that I didn’t buy any in the first place. That helps. I think I worked out every day this week. Even today, when you consider the swimming the paddling and the evening walk that I took the family on.

On top of that the RV had a bike rack on it. I know Missus’s dad didn’t need it, so I inquired and he let us have it. Since we’ve got the trailer hitch on the CRV now there’s a lot we can do. The experience of camping out in the RV opened a lot of possibilities to us. There are lots of bike trails around that are within an hour’s car ride, so now I can pack the girls bikes in the back trunk and use the rack for the two big bikes.

And talking to T about running made me focus on doing something that I’ve wanted to do for a while: run a 5K. There’s one in twenty days at my alma mater. I know I can be ready for it, the only obstacle is the $50 entry fee.

I think it’ll be worth it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *