Programmer Discipline

So my productivity has been shot to hell the last two days while I try to familiarize and setup not one, but two new programming environments. I’ve got Javascript for the CCXT/Safe.Trade library, and just got assigned a C++ module for one of my classes.

I have a somewhat convoluted setup. I like to work from one of two machines. My desktop is for gaming and personal or school projects, and my laptop has a Windows VM that I use for my day job. I also have an Ubuntu server that I’m running a file share and other services on. It’s got Docker running over ssh, but I was pounding my head today trying to figure out how to get IntelliJ to talk to it so I could use the integrated run tools instead of the copy/paste garbage I’ve been dealing with as I try to catch up on 20 years of Javascript changes and Node.

For one of my final classes I’ve got to implement Gaussian Elimination in C++ as part of a larger library that will be part of my final grade. I said goodby to CodeBlocks and Eclipse a while back, but I haven’t started a project in C++ in years. The only time I looked at it all has been for the PennyKoin updates. I’ve never spent the time to understand make lists and linking, so I just spent a painful hour trying to get Googletest integrated with this new project. Cause of course I’m going to write a test before I put down anything more complicated than ‘hello world’.

Of course I am.

I’ve spent the last week going over a series of videos on Clean Code by Uncle Bob C. Martin. It’s a good one that I really enjoyed. Martin is really good up on stage — and funny — and I was disappointed when I finished the last one and realized that there weren’t any more. There’s much more on his CleanCoder site for sale that I might dive into, but I want to read his Clean Code and Clean Architecture books first.

Highly recommended if you have several hours to spare.

I came to realize that the tests that I wrote for the GBTC Estimator were too tightly coupled to the module code, and that the module code was coupled to the input (IEX via Pandas DataReader class. So I’ve been trying to decouple it so that so that it works with a dataframe from my broker’s API. I’m taking some hints from a mocking talk I saw that made me realize that I need to break out dependencies even more.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.